For baptism of a child over the age of reason, teens, and adults, see Becoming Catholic.
We are pleased you have chosen St. Joseph the Worker parish as the place to prepare for and to baptize your child. This is a wonderful time of growth in faith and in our relationships with one another and with God. It is our hope that you will find below all the information you need to prepare for your child’s baptism.
THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
Baptism is the first sacrament and one of the three sacraments of initiation. By baptism the door to Christianity is opened. By the waters of baptism, we are made members of the body of Christ. Through baptism, your child becomes a part of our faith community in the Catholic Church. The importance of baptism is clear in Jesus’ example of being baptized and in his parting words to his disciples, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 28:18).
TO HAVE YOUR CHILD BAPTIZED
- Download and print the Baptism Information and two Godparent Information forms. Be sure to print one Godparent Information form for each godparent. You can also come by the Parish Center office and pick up a Baptism forms package.
- Please read the "Introduction for Parents and Godparents" page completely before filling out the forms.
Use a pencil to complete the information for the Baptism Information form, this form MUST be completed by the parents. The Godparent Information forms MUST be completed by each godparent. Please make every effort to print all information on these forms using pencil, and make sure that all information can be read easily by another person. Please make sure the Godparent forms are completed and signed by each of the Godparents.
- Please bring the completed Baptism Information form, the completed Godparent Information forms, a copy of your child’s birth certificate, and the $60.00 baptism administrative fee to the Parish Center office. Cash or check (payable to St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church) are accepted. Only a full set of completed and legible documents will be accepted.
- Your completed documents will be reviewed to make sure there are on errors. You will be notified if you have any errors on your forms or if they are approved.
- You will must to attend the pre-baptismal preparation class before the prospective baptism date. At the class completion you will be given a certificate of attendance.
The schedule of classes for May-June is:
Monday, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, 7 p.m.
May 22 May 31 June 26 June 28
- All classes are held in the St. Elizabeth Seton meeting room in the Conference Center (Hall) Please do not bring children.
- Once all is in order your date for baptism will be confirmed.
Note: If you are not a member of St. Joseph the Worker parish or you do not live within the parish boundaries, you will need a permission letter from your resident parish.
BAPTISM CELEBRATION SCHEDULE
For information about the Baptism schedule, please call the Parish Center (818.341.6634) and speak to the receptionist.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PARENTS AND GODPARENTS
- One parent must be Catholic.
- Must be willing to raise the child as a Catholic.
- Complete the Infant Baptism Course
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- May not be the parent of the child to be baptized.
- A confirmed Catholic, having received the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, and First Holy Communion.
- Committed to a life in harmony with the faith and your role as godparent.
- Be freely willing to accept the responsibility to support the child in the faith.
- Complete the Infant Baptism Course.
Baptism Administrative Fee
There is no charge for the sacrament of baptism.
There is an administrative fee of $60.00 if the child will be baptized at St. Joseph the Worker. The fee is due when you return the Baptism Information package to the Parish Center.