For baptism of a child over the age of reason, teens, and adults, see Becoming Catholic.
We are pleased you have chosen St. Joseph the Worker parish as the place to prepare for and to baptize your child. This is a wonderful time of growth in faith and in our relationships with one another and with God. It is our hope that you will find below all the information you need to prepare for your child’s baptism.
THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
Baptism is the first sacrament and one of the three sacraments of initiation. By baptism the door to Christianity is opened. By the waters of baptism, we are made members of the body of Christ. Through baptism, your child becomes a part of our faith community in the Catholic Church. The importance of baptism is clear in Jesus’ example of being baptized and in his parting words to his disciples, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 28:18).
TO HAVE YOUR CHILD BAPTIZED
- Download and print the Baptism Information and two Godparents registration forms (bilingual). Be sure to print a Godparents registration form for each godparent.
- Please use a pencil to complete the Baptism Information and the Godparents registration forms. Please make every effort to print all information on these forms, and make sure that all information can be easily read by another person. Please make sure the Godparent forms are completed and signed by the Godparents..
- After you have completed the Baptism Information form and the godparents have completed their forms, complete the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Infant Baptism Course for parents and godparents. The course is available online in English and Spanish and takes about one hour to complete. Make sure you identify St. Joseph the Worker as your parish. Please make sure each person takes the course as an individual. Upon completing the course, you will be able to print a certificate. Print an individual certificate for each person taking the course. The name, date, and time that appear on the certificate must be clear and legible. Click here for the Archdiocese online Infant Baptism Course.
- Please deliver the completed Baptism Information form, the completed Godparent registration form(s), the Baptism course certificates, a copy of your child’s birth certificate, and the $60.00 baptism administrative fee to the Parish Center office. Cash or check (payable to St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church) are accepted. Only a full set of completed and legible documents will be accepted.
- Your completed documents will be reviewed. If all is in order, they will be approved. After review, you will be contacted about any discrepancies or the approval, and the date for baptism.
Note: If you are not a member of St. Joseph the Worker parish or you do not live within the parish boundaries, you will need a permission letter from your resident parish.
BAPTISM CELEBRATION SCHEDULE
For information about the Baptism schedule, please call the Parish Center (818.341.6634) and speak to the receptionist.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PARENTS AND GODPARENTS
- One parent must be Catholic.
- Must be willing to raise the child as a Catholic.
- Complete the Infant Baptism Course
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- May not be the parent of the child to be baptized.
- A confirmed Catholic, having received the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, and First Holy Communion.
- Committed to a life in harmony with the faith and your role as godparent.
- Be freely willing to accept the responsibility to support the child in the faith.
- Complete the Infant Baptism Course.
Baptism Administrative Fee
There is no charge for the sacrament of baptism.
There is an administrative fee of $60.00 if the child will be baptized at St. Joseph the Worker. The fee is due when you return the Baptism Information package to the Parish Center.
If more than one sibling will be baptized at the same ceremony in our parish, there is a fee of $20.00 for each additional sibling.