Safeguard the Children
Every parish of the Archdiocese is required to have an active Safeguard the Children Parish Committee. Our Safeguard the Children Committee plays a crucial role in assuring that the safeguard initiatives found in the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People are a priority in our parish and that the Archdiocesan safe environment programs, policies and procedures are being implemented.
The committee assures that:
• All adults who work with or around children attend the VIRTUS® Protecting God’s Children program and receive the required certification.
• All children and young people receive Safe Environment Training either through “Teaching Touching Safety” or “Good-Touch/Bad-Touch” each year.
• All clergy, paid parish and school staff, and volunteers who work regularly in a supervisory role with children or youth are fingerprinted.
• All parish records pertaining are accurate and up to date.
• Required reports are submitted to the Archdiocese Office of Safeguard the Children in a timely manner.
• The parish community is kept informed through bulletin articles and other media about issues pertaining to the protection of children, young people, and vulnerable adults.
• Parish buildings, grounds, and facilities are regularly evaluated with respect to the safety and security of children and young people.
Leland Tang, Chair