BREAD FOR THE WORLD
Exciting School News!
Tuition Assistance for New Families
Through a generous donation to the Catholic Education Foundation (CEF), tuition assistance is available to NEW families to our Catholic school system. The amount can be nearly 50% off the tuition amount. Please share this great news with families you know who hesitate to apply to St. Joseph the Worker School because of the cost of tuition.
This tuition assistance program is tiered specifically for SJW School. Assistance is renewable each year as long as the applicant re-applies and qualifies.
• Student must have a registration date after 7/1/21.
• Student can be in grade TK through 8th.
• Student cannot have been enrolled in a Los Angeles Archdiocese Catholic school during the spring semester of the 2020-2021 school year.
• If the student was previously enrolled in a Catholic school, the student should be at least one semester removed from the Los Angeles Catholic school system.
• Exceptions can be made if the student was previously at another Catholic school that is not within a 20-mile radius of St. Joseph the Worker School or if the student’s previous Catholic school has been closed.
• Schools are discouraged from providing additional financial aid beyond the CEF Shea Tuition Award. (Parish and sibling discounts are acceptable.)
• However, if additional aid is necessary, schools are asked to be conservative with their internal allocations.
• The student's family income must not exceed the New Enrollment Initiative: Shea Tuition Award (STA) Income Guidelines.
Please share this great news and let’s grow our SJW Family together!
Mr. CJ Kruska, M.A. Ed.
Principal, St. Joseph the Worker School
Religious Education Program Welcomes You!
Register Now through August!
We are preparing now for our 2021-2022 Religious Education year. Catechetical sessions are offered in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese to new and returning children and youth in grades 1-8, as well as to children and youth with special needs. All sessions will take place in-person, on-site, in our parish facilities. Sessions begin in October and conclude in mid-May.
The health and safety of students, families, and the catechetical team is a priority. The Religious Education program operates in accordance with Archdiocese and local and state government guidelines relative to COVID-19 restrictions.
The registration procedure is the same for new and returning families. Download and print the appropriate registration packet from the links below. You may also pick up a packet at the Parish Center. Complete the forms. Enclose the completed forms, copies of the required documents, and payment (check or money order, payable to St. Joseph the Worker; no cash) in a sealed envelope.
Two ways to return the completed packet:
In-person: At “La Casita” Wednesdays, 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., through August. Religious Education personnel will be available during these office hours. The La Casita Room is located near the Parish Center. Use the Sherman Way entrance to the parking lot, park, and follow the signs to La Casita. Enter through the small gate adjacent to the school building.
Drop-off: At the Parish Center Mail Box (19808 Cantlay St. Winnetka CA 91306) in a sealed envelope marked “Attention: Religious Education.” Enclose completed forms, required documents, and payment.
Consult the Religious Education Page for details of schedule and fees.
Religious Education Office: 818.341.6634, ext. 1016, or
email Karina Villanueva, Religious Education Coordinator
Teen Confirmation 2021-2022
Register Now for Year 1 and Year 2!
The Confirmation/Youth Ministry program welcomes our youth to the Confirmation process. Now is the time to register for 2021-2022.
• Open to teens 8th through 12th grade
• A two-year process
• Expand your knowledge of the Catholic faith
• Learn how to serve God as an active disciple of Jesus Christ
• Grow in your personal relationship with God
Registration Procedure, Year 1 and Year 2
Download and print the Registration Form for Year 1 here and/or for Year 2 here. Deliver the completed form with your payment (check or money order only, payable to St. Joseph the Worker; no cash) to J. P. Fernandez, Youth Ministry and Confirmation Coordinator, at “La Casita” during either of these office hours:
Thursdays, 5:15 p.m. – 8:15 p.m. or Sundays, 9:00 a.m. - Noon
If you are unable to deliver the packet during these hours, please email JP Fernandez to schedule an appointment.
The La Casita Room is located near the Parish Center. Use the Sherman Way entrance to the parking lot, park, and follow the signs to La Casita. Enter through the small gate adjacent to the school building.
Register Now – Through August!
For more about the sacrament of Confirmation, visit the Teen Confirmation page.
Youth Ministry and Confirmation Coordinator
Safeguard the Children
The Archdiocese Office of Safeguard the Children is dedicated to “protecting all of God’s children.” The Office provides support, education, training, and resources to help prevent child sexual abuse and to address children’s safety in our parishes, schools, homes, and communities.
The Office issues weekly articles for publication on parish websites and in the parish bulletin. Because we are not publishing a bulletin at this time, we include each weekly statement HERE in English and Spanish.
We are accepting Mass Intention Requests for the period July through September 2021. Download and print the Mass Intention Request form. Complete the form and deliver or mail it to the Parish Center with your $10.00 per Mass donation. A check payable to St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church is preferred; cash is accepted (exact amount, please). There is a limit of four requests per family. We do not accept phone requests.
The church building is now open for all Masses. We continue to follow State, County, and Archdiocese public health guidelines.
• With the current increase of COVID-19 cases in Los Angeles County, everyone is required to wear a mask indoors (whether you are vaccinated or not).
• While we no longer need to follow six-foot distancing practices, you are encouraged to maintain a three-foot distance from the next group or family in the pews.
• Archbishop Gomez has rescinded the dispensation from attending Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. All are obligated to attend Mass. If, however, you have a fever or feel ill, please feel free to stay at home.
We all have a responsibility to care for one another.
Supporting Your Parish
Now that our Masses take place once again in the church, please renew your commitment to supporting your parish. The past many months of lower Mass attendance because of Covid concerns, and therefore reduced weekly collection, have been a financial challenge for our parish. While we understand that everyone’s situation is different, we encourage you to be generous in your support of St. Joseph the Worker.
Now is the time to give online!
Electronic Giving (e-giving) is an easy, convenient way to support your parish. Click on "e-giving" at the top right corner of this page and follow the instructions. You have the option to set up your contributions on an ongoing basis or as a one-time donation.
Our weekly bulletin routinely publishes collection statistics, comparing a particular week of the current year with the same week the previous year. Because we are not publishing the bulletin during this time, we have included collection data here. The chart below compares the most recent week’s collection with the same week in 2020.
Mail: If you prefer, you may mail your offering (envelope or check) to the parish: St. Joseph the Worker Church, 19808 Cantlay Street, Winnetka, CA 91306.